crown CU Home > Libraries Home
Columbia University Libraries Archival CollectionsAvery Drawings & Archives Collections
 

Wank Adams Slavin Associates records, 1913-2006, (bulk 1920-1975)

Download and Print CitationContact Bookmark Share

Preferred Citation

Wank Adams Slavin Associates records, 1913-2006, (bulk 1920-1975). Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library. Columbia University, New York, N.Y.

COinS Metadata available (e.g., for Zotero).

Summary Information

Abstract

Wank Adams Slavin Associates was an American architecture firm that grew out of Reed & Stem (1889-1923) and Fellheimer & Wagner (1923-1961). Both early firms were known for their work with train station design; Reed & Stem won the commission for Grand Central Terminal, and Fellheimer & Wagner specialized in Art Deco and Beaux-Arts train stations. However, Fellheimer & Wagner also expanded into financial institutions, educational complexes, housing facilities, and laboratories. This would continue to expand under the leadership of Roland Wank with Wank Adams Slavin Associates. Relationships between firm partners and government institutions were also an important source for commissions. The firm has been active as WASA Studio since 2005.

At a Glance

CLIO record: View CLIO record
Creator(s):Wank Adams Slavin Associates
Title:Wank Adams Slavin Associates records, 1913-2006, (bulk 1920-1975)
Physical description:approx. 5 linear feet (in 4 archival boxes and 2 manuscript boxes), 7 oversize boxes, and 6 bound volumes 1,3915 drawings
Language(s):In English
Access: This collection is available for use by qualified readers by appointment in the Dept. of Archives & Drawings' Reading Room, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. The majority of this collection is maintained in off-site storage and must retrieved with advance notification. For further information and to make an appointment to use this collection, please call (212) 854-4110 or email avery-drawings@libraries.columbia.edu.  More information »

Arrangement

Arrangement

The collection contains one series:

Return to top

Description

Scope and Content

Collection I (1982.005)

Donated in 1982, this first accession consists of 1,315 architectural drawings of railroad stations in the United States and Canada created when the firm was known as Fellheimer & Wagner. Included are drawings for the Union Passenger Station in Macon, Ga. (1915); the State Street Station in Chicago, Ill. (1924); the Passenger Station in South Bend, Ind. (1927); the Kentucky and Indiana Railroad Terminal in Louisville, Ky. (1928); the Springfield Union Station in Springfield, Mass. (1924); the New York Central Rail Road Buffalo & East Buffalo Terminal Improvement Passenger Station and Curtis Street Passenger Station in Buffalo, NY (1927-1928); the Cincinnati Terminal in Cincinnati, Ohio (1930-1931); the Passenger Station in Elyria, Ohio (1924); the Erie Passenger Station in Erie, Penn. (1928-1931); and the Toronto-Hamilton & Buffalo Railway Company in Hamilton, Ont., Canada (1931).

Collection II (2015.004)

Donated in 2015, this second accession is arranged chronologically and divided by firm. Undated material has been listed alphabetically at the end of each firm’s time period when it is clear that the material appears to be affiliated with a particular firm or era.

This collection is fairly limited in scope, with only 147 items covering 93 years of a very prolific firm’s history. The material is focused on the professional, with very little regarding the partners of the firm, their clients, or the design process. Instead the bulk of the collection consists of publications for proposed projects and photo albums of projects under construction.

Additionally, some reference material is included in the collection and may be of interest to researchers in general. This includes Kings Views of New York 1911-1912 and a block and lot book of Manhattan. A scrapbook containing clippings of some of the work of Reed & Stem and Fellheimer & Wagner provides additional information on the early work of the firm.

Return to top

Using the Collection

Access Restrictions

 This collection is available for use by qualified readers by appointment in the Dept. of Archives & Drawings' Reading Room, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. The majority of this collection is maintained in off-site storage and must retrieved with advance notification. For further information and to make an appointment to use this collection, please call (212) 854-4110 or email avery-drawings@libraries.columbia.edu.

Restrictions on Use

Columbia University is providing access to the materials in the Library's collections solely for noncommercial educational and research purposes. The unauthorized use, including, but not limited to, publication of the materials without the prior written permission of Columbia University is strictly prohibited. All inquiries regarding permission to publish should be submitted in writing to the Director, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. In addition to permission from Columbia University, permission of the copyright owner (if not Columbia University) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distributions, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the persons desiring to publish the item. Columbia University makes no warranties as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.

Preferred Citation

Wank Adams Slavin Associates records, 1913-2006, (bulk 1920-1975). Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library. Columbia University, New York, N.Y.

For Further Information

For more information about using the collections and conducting research in the Department of Drawings & Archives, please see our FAQ.

Return to top

About the Finding Aid / Processing Information

Columbia University Libraries. Avery Architecture and Fine Arts Library. Department of Drawings and Archives; machine readable finding aid created by Columbia University Libraries Digital Library Program Division

Processing Information

The collection was processed by Barrett Reiter (Graduate Intern) under the supervision of Shelley Hayreh, Avery Archivist, in 2015

Machine readable finding aid generated from MARC-AMC source via XSLT conversion September 1, 2015 Finding aid written in English.
    2015-09-01 File created.

CLIO ID: 11553639 View CLIO record

Return to top

Index Terms

The names and terms listed below are represented in this collection. Links below allow searches at Columbia University through the Archival Collections Portal and through CLIO, the catalog for Columbia University Libraries, as well as ArchiveGRID, a consortial/union catalog offered by OCLC that allows users to search the holdings of multiple archives and libraries.

All links open new windows.

Additional Creators

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Reed & Stem.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Fellheimer & Wagner.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Subjects (Personal Names)

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Adams, Frederick William, 1919-1989.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Fellheimer, Alfred.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Reed, Charles A.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Slavin, William.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Stem, Allen H.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Vollmer, Carl.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Wagner, Steward.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Wank, R. A. (Roland Anthony), 1898-1970.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Subjects (Corporate Names)

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Tennesse Valley Authority.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Housing Development Authority.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Topics

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Railroads--United States.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Architects.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Return to top

History / Biographical Note

History

REED & STEM (1889-1923)

Reed & Stem was primarily an architecture firm for railroad stations. Charles A. Reed (1858-1911) and Allen H. Stem (1856-1931) were originally based in St. Paul, Minnesota and completed projects for the Great Northern, the Northern Pacific, the Great Western, the Michigan Central, and the Norfolk & Western Railroads; completing over a hundred stations over their thirty year practice. After winning the commission for Grand Central Terminal, the firm relocated to New York. This would be their final project together, due to the death of Reed in 1911 at the age of 54.

Following the death of Reed, the firm briefly became Stem & Fellheimer, incorporating Alfred T. Fellheimer (1875-1959), who was an assistant for Grand Central Terminal, as a partner.

FELLHEIMER & WAGNER (1923-1961)

By the 1920s, Alfred T. Fellheimer joined Steward Wagner (1886-1958) to create Fellheimer & Wagner. The firm continued to work on a number of train stations, yet this collection begins to illustrate the breadth of the projects in which they were involved, including financial institutions, government projects, educational facilities, and housing.

Wagner was also involved with a number of WPA projects regarding housing, which is reflected in the work of the firm in the 1930s; particularly in the Arthurdale Homestead project in West Virginia. In the 1940s and 50s the firm briefly became Fellheimer, Wagner & Vollmer, with the addition of Carl Vollmer. The projects that his name is attached to are generally large-scale housing projects.

Roland A. Wank studied at the Technical University of Brno, Czechoslovakia, where his studies focused on Modern architecture. He joined Fellheimer & Wagner briefly from 1927-1933, and again in 1945 as a partner. In the interim he was head architect of the Tennessee Valley Authority and designed a number of dams and their associated facilities.

WANK ADAMS SLAVIN ASSOCIATES (1961-1986)

Roland A. Wank (1898-1970) continued the firm with partners Frederick W. Adams and William Slavin, officially changing the name in 1961. The firm continued to work on government infrastructure projects and laboratories, with many projects for universities and manufacturing companies.

WASA (1986-2005) WASA STUDIO (2005-2015)

Since 1986 the firm has continued as an architecture and engineering firm. The addition of preservation projects to the firm’s work resulted in their involvement with the restoration of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater in Mill Run, Pennsylvania. Beyond architectural design, engineering and preservation, the firm also offers interior design and sustainable design services.

Return to top