crown CU Home > Libraries Home
Columbia University Libraries Archival CollectionsAvery Drawings & Archives Collections
 

Charles Coolidge Haight architectural drawings and papers, circa 1874-1914

Download and Print CitationContact Bookmark Share

Preferred Citation

Charles Coolidge Haight architectural drawings and photographs. Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

COinS Metadata available (e.g., for Zotero).

Summary Information

At a Glance

Avery ID:D&A Haight View CLIO record
Creator(s):Haight, Charles Coolidge, 1841-1917.
Title:Charles Coolidge Haight architectural drawings and papers, circa 1874-1914
Physical description:46 drawings, 65 photographs (1 drawer, 2 print boxes)
Language(s):In English
Access: This collection is available for use by qualified readers by appointment in the Drawings & Archives Reading Room, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email avery-drawings@libraries.columbia.edu  More information »
Types of Materials in the Collection:Mixed media drawings, architectural reprographic prints, and photographic prints .

Arrangement

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in two series: Series I: Architectural Drawings and Series II: Photographs. Materials in Series I are organized geographically by state and city, then alphabetically by project name, and then by view type. Materials in Series II are organized alphabetically by project name and then by view type.

Return to top

Description

Scope and Content

This collection contains architectural drawings by various delineators and photographs of completed buildings designed by Charles Coolidge Haight. These projects include General Theological Seminary; the School of Mines at Columbia University; Christ Church, built in 1860; St. Ignatius Chapel, built in 1902; and Trinity School--all in New York City. Also included are the Chapel of Saint Cornelius the Centurion on Governors Island, New York; buildings at Yale University; and miscellaneous and unidentified projects. Additionally found in the collection are a contract and specifications from 1881 for a hospital for contagious diseases to be built for the New York City Health Department on North Brother Island in New York City, as well as reproductions of architectural drawings for this hospital.

Return to top

Using the Collection

Access Restrictions

This collection is available for use by qualified readers by appointment in the Drawings & Archives Reading Room, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email avery-drawings@libraries.columbia.edu

Restrictions on Use

Columbia University is providing access to the materials in the Library's collections solely for noncommercial educational and research purposes. The unauthorized use, including, but not limited to, publication of the materials without the prior written permission of Columbia University is strictly prohibited. All inquiries regarding permission to publish should be submitted in writing to the Director, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For additional guidance, see Columbia University Libraries' publication policy.

In addition to permission from Columbia University, permission of the copyright owner (if not Columbia University) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distributions, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the persons desiring to publish the item. Columbia University makes no warranties as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.

Preferred Citation

Charles Coolidge Haight architectural drawings and photographs. Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

Related Material

Columbia College Collection, Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

Guastavino Fireproof Construction Company/George Collins Architectural Records and Drawings, Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

University Archives, Columbia University.

Haight Family Papers, 1823-1958. Manuscripts Division, New-York Historical Society.

For Further Information

For more information about using the collections and conducting research in the Department of Drawings & Archives, please see our FAQ.

Return to top

About the Finding Aid / Processing Information

Finding aid written by and prepared for electronic publication by Julie Tozer, Assistant, and Annemarie van Roessel, Archivist, Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Julie Tozer, Assistant to the Curator of Drawings & Archives, and Dan Fox, Graduate Student Assistant, Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, in January 2007.

EAD instance generated by Annemarie van Roessel from MS Word file Oct. 15, 2007. Finding aid written in English.
    2007-10-15 File created.
    2009-07-15 File revised.

CLIO ID: 3460611 View CLIO record

Return to top

Index Terms

The names and terms listed below are represented in this collection. Links below allow searches at Columbia University through the Archival Collections Portal and through CLIO, the catalog for Columbia University Libraries, as well as ArchiveGRID, a consortial/union catalog offered by OCLC that allows users to search the holdings of multiple archives and libraries.

All links open new windows.

Corporate Names

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
New York (N.Y.). Dept. of Health.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Subjects

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Architects--United States. PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Architecture, Domestic--New York (State)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Architecture--New York (N.Y.)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Architecture--United States--designs and plans.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Church architecture--New York (State)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Churches, Episcopal--New York (N.Y.)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Hospitals--New York (N.Y.)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Schools--New York (N.Y.)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Theological seminaries--New York (N.Y.)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Universities and colleges--Connecticut--New Haven.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Universities and colleges--New York (State)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Place Names

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
North Brother Island (N.Y.)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Material Types

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Photoprints.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Architectural drawings.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Return to top

History / Biographical Note

Biographical Note

Born in New York City in 1841, Haight received his bachelor’s degree from Columbia College in 1861 and enlisted in the Union Army in the following year. After his discharge, Haight returned to New York to work for Emlyn Little, a fellow soldier. Haight opened his private practice in New York in 1867. Haight received numerous commissions for residential and institutional work, and was the principal architect of the mid-town campus of Columbia College in the 1870s and 1880s. He was also the primary architect for the Trinity Corporation, designing warehouses and apartment houses throughout New York City. Much of Haight’s work was in the Collegiate Gothic idiom, which served well for commissions for Union Theological Seminary in New York City; St. Stephen's College (now Bard College) in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York; Keney Memorial Tower in Hartford, Connecticut; and the Vanderbilt Dormitory at Yale University. Haight retired from practice in the 1910s and died at his home in Garrison, New York, in 1917.

Return to top