crown CU Home > Libraries Home
Columbia University Libraries Archival CollectionsAvery Drawings & Archives Collections
 

Lever House architectural drawings, 1950-1953

Download and Print CitationContact Bookmark Share

Preferred Citation

Lever House architectural drawings, 1950-1953. Located in Columbia University, Avery Archiectural & Fine Arts Library, Department of Drawings & Archives.

COinS Metadata available (e.g., for Zotero).

Summary Information

At a Glance

Avery ID:D&A SOM Lever House1982.002 View CLIO record
Creator(s):Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
Title:Lever House architectural drawings, 1950-1953
Physical description:60 sheets: various media; 81 x 114 cm. (32 x 45 in.)
Language(s):In English
Access: This collection is available for use by qualified readers by appointment in the Drawings & Archives Reading Room, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email avery-drawings@libraries.columbia.edu  More information »
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection:Most sheets are graphite on paper, with a smaller group of sepia diazo prints with extensive graphite annotations. All sheets were treated by a paper conservator and are now encapsulated in polyester film.

Arrangement

Organization

General architectural sheets are stored in numerical order, Index Sheet followed by A-1 through A-53; followed by Arcade architectural sheets, A-1 through A-3; and one unnumbered furniture sheet.

Return to top

Description

Scope and Content

Collection consists of sixty original architectural and furniture drawings for Lever House in New York City, drawn between 1950 and 1952. Most sheet are graphite on paper, with a smaller group of sepia diazo prints with extensive graphite annotations. All sheets were treated by a paper conservator and are now encapsulated in polyester film.

Return to top

Using the Collection

Access Restrictions

This collection is available for use by qualified readers by appointment in the Drawings & Archives Reading Room, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email avery-drawings@libraries.columbia.edu

Restrictions on Use

Columbia University is providing access to the materials in the Library's collections solely for noncommercial educational and research purposes. The unauthorized use, including, but not limited to, publication of the materials without the prior written permission of Columbia University is strictly prohibited. All inquiries regarding permission to publish should be submitted in writing to the Director, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For additional guidance, see Columbia University Libraries' publication policy.

In addition to permission from Columbia University, permission of the copyright owner (if not Columbia University) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distributions, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the persons desiring to publish the item. Columbia University makes no warranties as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.

Preferred Citation

Lever House architectural drawings, 1950-1953. Located in Columbia University, Avery Archiectural & Fine Arts Library, Department of Drawings & Archives.

Related Material

Gordon Bunshaft architectural drawings and papers, 1909-1990 (bulk 1950-1979). Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

For Further Information

For more information about using the collections and conducting research in the Department of Drawings & Archives, please see our FAQ.

Return to top

About the Finding Aid / Processing Information

Finding aid written by Annemarie van Roessel, Archivist, Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Annemarie van Roessel, Archivist, Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, in 2007.

EAD instance generated by Louis Muñoz, Gradute Student Intern, Dept. of Drawings & Archives, from Microsoft Excel file and MARC21 recordNov. 2007. Finding aid written in English.
    2007-11-27 File created.
    2009-11-17 File revised.

CLIO ID: 6104671 View CLIO record

Return to top

Index Terms

The names and terms listed below are represented in this collection. Links below allow searches at Columbia University through the Archival Collections Portal and through CLIO, the catalog for Columbia University Libraries, as well as ArchiveGRID, a consortial/union catalog offered by OCLC that allows users to search the holdings of multiple archives and libraries.

All links open new windows.

Corporate Names

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Lever House (New York, N.Y.)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Subjects

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Architecture--United States--Designs and plans.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Commercial buildings--New York (State)--New York.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Material Types

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Architectural drawings--American.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Additional Creators (Personal Names)

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Bunshaft, Gordon, 1909-PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Additional Creators (Corporate Names)

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Weiskoff & Pickworth.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Jaros Baum & Bolles.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Return to top

History / Biographical Note

Historical Note

Lever House, one of the major landmarks of International Style architecture, was designed by Gordon Bunshaft, of the the New York office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. Sited along Park Avenue between 53rd and 54th Streets in New York City, the building was completed in 1952. Weiskoff & Pickworth were the structural engineers and Jaros Baum & Bolles were the mechanical engineers.

Return to top