crown CU Home > Libraries Home
Columbia University Libraries Archival CollectionsAvery Drawings & Archives Collections
 

Ernest Flagg architectural records and papers, 1888-1972

Download and Print CitationContact Bookmark Share

Preferred Citation

Ernest Flagg architectural records and papers, 1888-1972. Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

COinS Metadata available (e.g., for Zotero).

Summary Information

Abstract

Ernest Flagg was an American architect in the Beaux-Arts style. The collection is made up of diaries, correspondence, photographs, project records, Flagg's writings, and clippings.

At a Glance

CLIO record: View CLIO record
Creator(s):Flagg, Ernest, 1857-1947
Title:Ernest Flagg architectural records and papers, 1888-1972
Physical description:5 linear feet of papers and 217 architectural drawings.
Language(s):In English
Access: This collection is available for use by qualified readers by appointment in the Dept. of Archives & Drawings' Reading Room, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. The majority of this collection is maintained in off-site storage and must retrieved with advance notification. For further information and to make an appointment to use this collection, please call (212) 854-4110 or email avery-drawings@libraries.columbia.edu.  More information »

Arrangement

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in four series:

Return to top

Description

Scope and Content

The collection is made up of diaries, correspondence, photographs, project records, Flagg's writings, and clippings.

Series I: Personal Papers includes diaries ranging from 1890-1937, genealogical studies, correspondence, family photographs, and records from Le Ecole des Beaux-Arts.

Series II: Project Records includes plans, drawings, photographs, and clippings regarding a particular project. The A.H. Scribner records are the most complete, and also contain contracts, billing records, and correspondence with contractors.

Series III: Writings includes both published and unpublished works. The collection also includes Flagg’s Greek Documents and studies, drafts, manuscripts, and corresponding materials relating to Le Naos du Parthenon.

Series IV: Other Papers includes various clippings.

Return to top

Using the Collection

Access Restrictions

 This collection is available for use by qualified readers by appointment in the Dept. of Archives & Drawings' Reading Room, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. The majority of this collection is maintained in off-site storage and must retrieved with advance notification. For further information and to make an appointment to use this collection, please call (212) 854-4110 or email avery-drawings@libraries.columbia.edu.

Restrictions on Use

Permission to publish must be obtained in writing from the Director, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, 1172 Amsterdam Ave., MC 0301, New York, NY 10027.

For additional guidance on restrictions and permissions see Columbia University Libraries Publication and Digital Reproduction Policy and Procedures

Preferred Citation

Ernest Flagg architectural records and papers, 1888-1972. Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

For Further Information

For more information about using the collections and conducting research in the Department of Drawings & Archives, please see our FAQ.

Return to top

About the Finding Aid / Processing Information

Columbia University Libraries. Avery Architecture and Fine Arts Library. Department of Drawings and Archives; machine readable finding aid created by Columbia University Libraries Digital Library Program Division

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Zoe Milgram (Archives Intern) under the guidance of Shelley Hayreh, Archivist of Drawings & Archives, Avery Library, in April 2011.

Machine readable finding aid generated from MARC-AMC source via XSLT conversion March 11, 2011 Finding aid written in English.
    2011-03-11 File created.

CLIO ID: 8539656 View CLIO record

Return to top

Index Terms

The names and terms listed below are represented in this collection. Links below allow searches at Columbia University through the Archival Collections Portal and through CLIO, the catalog for Columbia University Libraries, as well as ArchiveGRID, a consortial/union catalog offered by OCLC that allows users to search the holdings of multiple archives and libraries.

All links open new windows.

Subjects (Building Names)

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Charles Scribners Sons Building (New York, N.Y.)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Singer Building (New York, N.Y.)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Subjects (Personal Names)

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Flagg, Ernest, 1857-1947PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Sutcliffe, Arthur T. (Taylor)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Topics

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Architecture--United States--Designs and plans.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Architects--New York (State)PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Architecture--New York (State)--New York.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Types of Materials

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
Correspondence.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Diaries.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Photographs.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Return to top

History / Biographical Note

Biography

Ernest Flagg (February 6, 1857 – April 10, 1947) was born in Brooklyn, New York. He married Margaret E. Bonnell, with whom he had one daughter, Betsey Flagg. A student of Le Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Flagg’s work refers to classical architecture.

After completing his studies, in 1891, Flagg and John Prentiss Benson started Flagg & Benson, (later Flagg, Benson & Brockway), and the firm designed St. Luke’s Hospital, in New York.

In 1894, Ernest Flagg went into a partnership with Walter B. Chambers to form Flagg & Chambers. Together, the two designed the Corcoran Gallery of Arts in Washington, D.C., and the Singer Building, which was once the tallest building in New York. Flagg, a favorite of the Scribner family, designed the Scribner Building on Fifth Avenue, as well as residences for Charles Scribner, and his son, A.H. Scribner. Flagg is also known for designing buildings for the U.S. Naval Academy, and many residences in New York and Connecticut.

The Beaux-Arts study of classicism did not stop after college for Flagg. His Greek travel journals include studies on proportions and ratios in classic Greek architecture, and were the basis for Le Naos du Parthenon, published in 1928.

As a writer in the progressive era, Flagg wrote on New York tenement houses, taxation, city planning, and building regulations. He also wrote prolifically on design, architecture, and specifically on Greek classicism.

Return to top