crown CU Home > Libraries Home
Columbia University Libraries Archival CollectionsColumbia University Archives Collections
 

   School of Mines Records 1863-1985 [Bulk Dates: 1864-1965]

Download and Print CitationContact Bookmark Share

Preferred Citation

Identification of specific item; Date (if known); School of Mines Records; Box and Folder; University Archives, Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University Library.

COinS Metadata available (e.g., for Zotero).
Submit a request for access to the archival material.
All users will need to register the first time they make a request.
Columbia-affiliated users may login with their uni and password.
Unaffiliated users may create a new account.

Series I: Academics 1864-1963

Material related to academic issues and administrative governance of the School of Mines is gathered in this series. This includes curriculum, course and examination schedules, registration information, admission requirements, guide for students, and annual school catalogues. Faculty and trustee reports cover finance, education, instruction, administration, and development of the School. Limited correspondence of the faculty and general inquiry, statistics of enrollment and teaching, and research and patent policies and procedures are also found in this series. Publications issued by the School regarding its departments and engineering at Columbia University in general make up the bulk of this series. Of note are the academic issues of the faulty response to changing its name to encompass the broader, evolving scope of the School's subjects as well as the process of changing the School's course degree program.

Academic Issues and Curriculum, 1864-1951
(5 Folders)

Box 1
Folder 1 to 5
Camp Columbia, 1901-1904
Box 1
Folder 6
Correspondence,
1869,
1878-1879
Box 1
Folder 7
Curriculum and Course Materials of Braschi, Victor Manuel, 1879-1882
Box 1
Folder 8
Enrollment and Teaching Statistics, 1944-1950
Box 1
Folder 9
Examination and Attendance Schedules, 1864-1897
Box 1
Folder 10
Guides for Students, 1947-1950
Box 1
Folder 11
Laboratory Information,
1870s
Box 1
Folder 12
Publications
"Abstracts of Photographic Science & Engineering Literature,"
1963 July
Box 1
Folder 13
"Columbia Institute for Research in Production and Industrial Management," circa
1950s

Box 2
Folder 1
Combined Plan for Liberal Education in Engineering, 1950-1952
Box 2
Folder 2
"Department of Industrial Engineering and Management,"
1950
Box 2
Folder 3
"Engineering, Today and Tomorrow and the School of Engineering of Columbia University"--Draft,
1947
Box 2
Folder 4
Industrial Development, 1948-1950
Box 2
Folder 5
"Manual of Physical Measurements,"
1928
Box 2
Folder 6
"Reports in Industrial Engineering," 1949-1950
Box 2
Folder 7 to 8
Registration, 1877-1903

Box 3
Folder 1
Reports, 1881-1956
(3 Folders)
Box 3
Folder 2 to 4
Research and Patents, 1939-1949
Box 3
Folder 5

Series II: Alumni, 1877-1964

This series consists of materials of the Alumni Association of the School of Mines. Annual alumni list booklets, drafts of alumni news articles, fundraising materials and reports for the Engineering Fund, and correspondence regarding a civil engineering badge are included in this series. Also found within are the Association's governance documents: its constitution and bylaws as well as a certified Photostat copy of the Alumni Association of the School of Mines certificate of incorporation. Alumni events materials in this series represent annual dinners and meetings. The bulk of this series concerns the Committee of Ten of the Alumni Association of the School of Mines. Correspondence between committee members, faculty, and alumni, committee meetings minutes, research into the School's curriculum, subcommittee reports on departments of the School, and the committee's final report to the Alumni Association and the Trustees of Columbia College form the Committee of Ten's records.

General, 1877-1936
Box 3
Folder 6
Alumni Association--Civil Engineering Badge, 1879-1880,
1942
Box 3
Folder 7
Alumni Events, 1909-1962
Box 3
Folder 8
Alumni Lists, 1880-1903
(2 Folders)
Box 3
Folder 9 to 10
Alumni Lists, 1912-1929

Box 4
Folder 1
Alumni News--Draft Articles, 1946-1952
Box 4
Folder 2
Committee of Ten of the Alumni Association of the School of Mines
General, 1883-1884
Box 4
Folder 3
Correspondence, 1884-1885
(3 Folders)
Box 4
Folder 4 to 6
Course Information for Report,
1884
Box 4
Folder 7
Minutes,
1884
Box 4
Folder 8
Recommendations and Alumni Response,
1884

Box 5
Folder 1
Reports, 1884-1885
Box 5
Folder 2
Secretary's Letter Book,
1884
Box 5
Folder 3
Subcommittee Reports,
1884
Box 5
Folder 4
Dean's Day, 1961-1964
Box 5
Folder 5
Engineering Fund, 1960-1964
Box 5
Folder 6
Governance,
1886,
1949
Box 5
Folder 7

Series III: Anniversaries, 1913-1965

Contained in this series are correspondence, programs, announcements, and guest lists of the three School of Mines anniversary celebrations: the 50th anniversary in 1914, the 75th anniversary in 1938, and the 100th anniversary in 1964. The majority of this series resides in the 50th and 75th anniversary materials. The 50th anniversary celebrations included a banquet, convocation, an alumni luncheon, campus night, and commencement. Banquet materials consist of correspondence, menus, programs, guest lists, and announcements. Programs, admission tickets, invitations, and announcements represent the other 50th anniversary celebration events. The remaining 50th anniversary material consists of celebration badges; general correspondence; meeting minutes of the anniversary celebration committee; news clippings; financial papers including bills, reservations, and correspondence; poems and songs written for or performed at the celebrations; commemorative issues of campus publications; and copies of speeches given at the celebrations. The 75th anniversary celebrations included a dinner, convocation, an open house, "old home week" at Camp Columbia, and the unveiling of an Old School of Mines plaque commemorating the original site of the School at 50th Street and Park Avenue. Correspondence, including letters to and from President Nicholas Murray Butler; guest lists; programs; committee meeting minutes; announcements; schedules; news clippings; and commemorative issues of campus publications all compose the 75th anniversary celebration items. Three black and white photographs of the Old School of Mines unveiling ceremony are also included. The 100th anniversary celebration materials consist of a celebration badge, the centennial dinner seating list and program, convocation program and announcement, an alumni centennial questionnaire, and a speech draft for the celebration.

50th Anniversary of the School of Mines
General,
1914
Box 5
Folder 8
Banquet,
1914
Box 5
Folder 9
Committee Meeting Minutes, 1913-1914
Box 5
Folder 10
Correspondence--General, 1913 September-1914 June

Box 6
Folder 1
Events,
1914
Box 6
Folder 2
Finance--General, 1913-1915
Box 6
Folder 3
Finance--Columbia Knickerbocker Trust Company, 1913-1914
Box 6
Folder 4
News Clippings, 1913-1914
Box 6
Folder 5
Poems and Songs,
1914
Box 6
Folder 6
Publications,
1914
Box 6
Folder 7
Speeches,
1914
Box 6
Folder 8
75th Anniversary of the School of Mines
General, 1935-1939
Box 6
Folder 9
Convocation,
1939 November
Box 6
Folder 10
Correspondence, 1938 November-1939 November

Box 7
Folder 1
Dinner--General,
1939
Box 7
Folder 2
Dinner--Correspondence,
1939
(2 Folders)
Box 7
Folder 3 to 4
Egleston Awards,
1939
Box 7
Folder 5
News Articles and Publications, 1936-1939
Box 7
Folder 6
Old Home Week,
1939
Box 7
Folder 7
Old School of Mines Plaque, 1939-1940
Box 7
Folder 8
Open House,
1939
Box 7
Folder 9
100th Anniversary Celebrations, 1964-1965
Box 7
Folder 10

Series IV: Building and Grounds, 1881-1961

Fundraising materials and design publications; invitations to and programs for announcement and preview dinners; press releases; news articles and clippings; maps; copies of photographs and artist's building conceptions; reports; and newsletters all concerning the new Engineering Center comprise the bulk of the series. Original photographs, which include President Dwight D. Eisenhower, then-president of Columbia University, and Dean James Kip Finch, are located in the Subject Photo files. Also included in this series are 49th Street building analysis correspondence; announcements and fundraising correspondence related to the move to Morningside Heights; and two photograph-and-blueprint books of proposed new laboratories building for the School of Engineering at 134th Street and Riverside Drive.

Engineering Center
General, 1949-1952,
1959,
1961
Box 7
Folder 11
Announcement Dinner,
1951
Box 7
Folder 12
"Engineering Education and the Business Dollar," circa
1951

Box 8
Folder 1
Fundraising Materials, 1950-1951
Box 8
Folder 2
Department Design Booklets, circa
1950
Box 8
Folder 3
"The Heat and Mass Flow Analyzer," circa
1950s
Box 8
Folder 4
"The New Engineering Center,"
1950
Box 8
Folder 5
Preview Dinner,
1951
Box 8
Folder 6
"Report of the Council for the School of Engineering,"
1956
Box 8
Folder 7
49th Street Building--Analysis,
1881
Box 8
Folder 8
Move to Morningside, 1891-1896
Box 8
Folder 9
"Proposed New Laboratories," circa 1940s-1950s
Box 8
Folder 10

Series V: Events, 1874-1962

This series contains materials related to events held by and/or at the School of Mines. The items include invitations, a guest list, programs, schedules, press releases, correspondence, news articles, dance cards, a registration application, and records of proceedings of lectures, dinners, reception, conferences, a symposium, and graduation exercises.

General, 1906-1949
Box 8
Folder 11
Conference on Industrial Personnel,
1951
Box 8
Folder 12
Dunning (John R.) Luncheon,
1951
Box 8
Folder 13
Lecture Announcements, 1885-1888
Box 8
Folder 14
"Proceedings of the Junior Science Symposium,"
1962
Box 8
Folder 15
Students' Annual Reception, 1874-1881
Box 8
Folder 16

Series VI: History, 1863-1952

Materials related to the history of the School of Mines populate this series. Three distinct subject areas within this series are the planning of the School, the summer surveying school (commonly called Camp Columbia), and a complete history of the School, the last of which forms the bulk of this series. Items related to the planning of the School include a copy of the trustee meeting minutes in which the creation of the School is discussed, the resolutions of the trustees on the founding of the School, a blank subscription form for the School, and copies of Thomas J. Egleston's original 1863 plan for the School reprinted in booklet form in 1914. "A History of the Summer School of Surveying of Columbia University" by James Kip Finch is a bound draft with handwritten annotations. Included in the back of this book is a letter from Finch to the then-University Librarian regarding Finch's donation of this material to the Columbiana collection. The vast majority of this series is devoted to the creation of a complete history of the School of Mines. Correspondence and draft chapters of a 75-year history completed and exchanged by Professor Thomas T. Read and Roger Howson as well as both a complete manuscript and partial manuscript (chapters six through nine), both with handwritten corrections and annotations, of Read's "Columbia School of Mines-Engineering 1864-1939: Seventyfive [sic] Years of Progress in Engineering Education" are included along with James Kip Finch's correspondence, handwritten notes, research, and drafts of his "A History of the School of Engineering at Columbia University 1864-1939."

Founding of the School, 1863-1865,
1914
Box 8
Folder 17
History of the School of Mines
Drafts and Correspondence, 1935-1952
(3 Folders)

Box 9
Folder 1 to 3
Manuscript by Read, Thomas T.--Complete,
1939
Box 9
Folder 4
Manuscript by Read, Thomas T.--Partial,
1939
Box 9
Folder 5
"Summer School of Surveying" by Finch, James K.,
1917,
1938
Box 9
Folder 6

Series VII: Press, 1865-1985

This series consists of newspaper and other print press clippings about the School of Mines, its events, students, alumni, and faculty as well as press releases issued by the School or Columbia University related to the School and engineering.

News Articles and Clippings
Clippings, 1865-1878
Box 9
Folder 7
Articles, 1900-1929
(2 Folders)

Box 10
Folder 1 to 2
Clippings Book, 1936-1945
Box 10
Folder 3
Clippings, 1931-1985
(2 Folders)
Box 10
Folder 4 to 5
Press Releases
1944-1948
Box 10
Folder 6
1950-1969
(4 Folders)

Box 11
Folder 1 to 4

Series VIII: School of Mines Quarterly, 1895-1918

This series contains bank and treasurer books and other financial papers for The School of Mines Quarterly. The bulk of this series consists of correspondence related to the Quarterly, mostly dealing with subscriptions, advertising, and article reprints. Half of the correspondence is organized chronologically, with the remainder in original alphabetical order. A copy of the journal, Volume XXXVI, No. 4 from July 1915, is also included in this series.

Bank and Treasurer Books, 1879-1918
Box 11
Folder 5
Correspondence
1895-1905
(2 Folders)
Box 11
Folder 6 to 7
1906-1911
(7 Folders)

Box 12
Folder 1 to 7
1914-1917
(5 Folders)

Box 13
Folder 1 to 5
A-F, 1911-1916
Box 13
Folder 6
G-M, 1910-1916

Box 14
Folder 1
N-U, 1909-1916
Box 14
Folder 2
W, 1911-1916
Box 14
Folder 3
Finance, 1910-1917
Box 14
Folder 4
The School of Mines Quarterly, Volume XXXVI, No. 4,
1915 July
Box 14
Folder 5
Subscriptions, 1915 June-December
Box 14
Folder 6

Return to top